Bhumihar caste includes the Brahmins. They are known as Bhumihar Brahmins. When the girl in their family reaches the age of wedding, they plan things. The search for the partner begins. If its an arranged wedding then the bride and the groom get married within the same caste. They get a chance to talk to each other and when they like each other, the talks are taken a step forward. In Bhumihar matrimony, you will see that the weddings have a lot of customs and rituals. Yes, they are quite interesting but they go on for a few days. Thus, when there is a wedding at home, you will see a few pre-wedding ceremonies too.
The pre-wedding ceremonies
In Bhumihar weddings, you will find a number of pre-wedding rituals. They are:
- There is a tradition called as Siddhanth custom. In this, the priest sits and looks into the panchang to fix the wedding date. Also, he has to see panjis of both the families. These people also believe in horoscopes and that plays a key role in these weddings.
- There is one more different and strange custom. A day before the wedding or the day of a wedding, you will see that the bride has to take blessings of a washer man’s wife. This is because it is believed that a washer man’s wife will always die before her husband and thus she would always remain suhagan.
- On the day of the wedding, when the groom enters the wedding premises, the girl from the bride family would welcome him with sandalwood paste.
- In this, the couple has to then go for the kul devi shrine. The bride’s father takes them. Thus, the groom would get a chance to seethe kul devi mandir of the bride’s father.
- Gauri puja is also quite important as a part of Bhumihar matrimony. This is mainly performed to keep the evils away from the wedding ceremony.
Thus, you will find that there are some really interesting rituals as seen in Bhumihar weddings too. You will really find these rituals quite meaningful. Bhumihar is simple people. But they are quite strict about the wedding and the wedding rituals.
In the times when the younger generation is moving away from rituals, the younger generation of Bhumihar caste is still quite interested in the wedding in an authentic and traditional way. That’s the charm of Indian weddings. Just like other weddings, there is fun too involved in the wedding. Of course, you will also be able to find food and tasty food served to the guests in an authentic way. You should understand that wedding is the time when two families would unite. Thus, it is really an important ceremony. Thus, all the functions and events should be carried out properly. Bhumihar is simple Brahmins. But they are knowledgeable and educated. The bride and the groom are also well brought up and they know the relevance of culture and ethics too. That’s the reason why you can find these weddings more traditional.